Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Jade Update


Jade has been a special case since the day we brought her home, it seems.  She just really isn't growing or putting on weight like everyone else.  I thought at first maybe she just had a higher than normal worm load, then thought maybe it was because she was the smallest and was being bullied.  Regardless we pulled her out of the pen at the beginning of October when we put Crockett with the other girls because she is way too small to breed.


 She was pretty thin.  We kept her on a strict deworming and feeding schedule and now she is plump (and furry, holy cow she put on a winter coat fast!), but still so small.  My paranoid brain is wondering if she has some sort of dwarfism gene or something.  The only other thing I could think of that would retard her growth is worms or malnutrition.  She is definitely not malnourished and we have dewormed her, so for now it is a wait and see game.  I won't be breeding her if she stays small and unthrifty.  I don't want that in my blood lines.  She will still be a good pet though.

 Definitely plumped up!


 So adorable!  That does not look like the face of a seven month old doeling though... she looks like a weanling!  If anyone knows of other reasons for stunted growth I'd love to know.  I'm still researching it.


Sadly a week after putting her back out with the other girls I noticed she had her tail down and seemed like she didn't feel too well so we separated her again.  I'm wondering if she overindulged in acorns when her gut wasn't used to it.  Sigh.  She is definitely our special needs case.  Most people would have culled her by now, but I can't do that.  She can be a brush goat and pet if nothing else.  :)  I'll keep you all updated.

5 comments:

  1. Can you take her stool to Vet? Neighbor had a young doe like this, turned out she had coccidia. Wormer won't tackle it. Neighbor tried many things before finally calling Vet out. Sadly she waited till after she'd been down several days. The young doe didn't make it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Duh I completely forgot about coccidia! Thank you! I'll get a fecal done ASAP. That would explain why the dewormer isn't working. She is doing much better but she still just doesn't look as thrifty as the others so I'll definitely do that. I wrote this post about a week ago. I've been scheduling posts because I don't have time to blog during the week.

      Delete
  2. I know nothing about goats. I'd call a vet and get a professional opinion. She's adorable though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do. See my answer to the comment above. Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Sorry she is not growing like you had hoped. Maybe the fecal will give you the answers you are looking for!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for visiting! We would love to hear from you so please leave a comment.