Saturday, November 30, 2019

Getting back into my art + new art Instagram account!


I drew this kangaroo today.  I'm not thrilled with how it turned out because I'm a beginner at drawing fur, but it's a huge step in the right direction.  Practice makes perfect!  I feel like I need to just wipe over the whole thing with a cloth because the contrast is too much.  It looks too busy or something.  Oh well, I'm still learning.

I'm planning on doing a modified Inktober challenge where I follow the prompts, but at my own pace and not in October.  I've always wanted to join in the real challenge, but I don't have time to draw every day in October and I've never done anything in ink so learning at the same time would be too stressful.  I've always wanted to learn inking though, so I'm doing this as a way to learn at my own speed to hopefully keep from getting overwhelmed.  Mediums that can't be erased or reworked (ink, watercolor, etc.) have always stressed me out because I'm a perfectionist.  I want to work on that.

To keep from cluttering up Chrome's Instagram with art photos I made a new account.  You can follow me at @farmerlifeart.  I've been posting all of my older stuff and the account is already way more popular than I thought it would be, which is exciting and encouraging.  I'm hoping it will motivate me to stick to the Inktober thing.  Maybe in 2020 I'll be ready to do the actual challenge.


For the Inktober challenge I am working in a gray toned sketchbook (it looks tan in the pictures because of indoor lighting ick).  I've never used a toned sketchbook, but I'm really excited to learn to use it.  The first prompt of 2016 was fast, so I drew a cheetah.  It was the first thing that came to mind.


I'm keeping them fairly small so I don't feel so overwhelmed.  It's about the size of an index card (where the kangaroo above is an 8" by 10" page), so I can fit four to a page.  I still need to learn more about crosshatching.  I hated the cheetah at first, but after walking away and coming back to it I love it now.  I think it's just because I'm not used to ink which feels so minimalist.  If you want to follow along with me on the rest of the prompts please considering following my new IG page @farmerlifeart.  I'll be posting all of them there.  I may post them here once I've finished the 2016 prompts.  It could be a while though.

After drawing the cheetah I wanted to practice with a brush pen because I've never used them (except on a Winnie the Pooh drawing you can see on IG).  Brush pens are SO difficult!! My hand is not at all steady I've realized.  After practicing drawing lines and some calligraphy I decided to do a Zentangle with nothing but the brush pen.  I love Zentangle and normally find it very relaxing.  It helps a lot with my anxiety.  The drawing below with a brush pen though.... was SO tedious!!!!!!


My first mistake was drawing this on a full size page in my sketchbook!  I normally keep Zentangle small because there is so much detail and it can be very time consuming.  This turtle took me HOURS!  Even though the perfectionist in me hates the inconsistency in the lines I love how this turned out.  With a little more practice I can see it being fun again.  All of those teeny tiny circles were an absolute nightmare with a brush pen!  I was missing my micron fineliners lol.  I'm definitely going to have to do more Zentangle though.  For right now though I'm going to take a break from the tedious fur on that kangaroo, then I will get started on the second prompt.... NOISY!  Anybody have a guess on what I chose to draw for that prompt??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for visiting! We would love to hear from you so please leave a comment.