Thursday, November 27, 2014

Happy Thanksgiving!!

 First picture of my kitchen I've shared since we had the counter top put in!

Happy Thanksgiving!!!  We had our very first gluten free Thanksgiving and it was fantastic!!!
My mom, dad, hubby and I split the cooking between us.  Mom and Dad made the fruit salad, apple crunch, green bean casserole (forgot to take the lid off in the picture below) and giblet gravy.  Hubby made the dressing, using a recipe his mom uses and it was amazing (I have always hate dressing).  He also made the pumpkin pies (crustless).  I heated up the turkey and cooked the sweet potatoes and rice.


The pecan pie was store bought and not gluten free (I didn't eat the crust) because we didn't want to make one, but we all love it lol.  The turkey, sweet potatoes and rice were obviously gluten free.  The dressing we used a boxed gluten free cornbread mix that was actually really good!  I was surprised.  The apple crunch was either boxed gluten free or mom used gluten free flour mix.  I'm not sure.  The pumpkin pie didn't have a crust so it was good.

The interesting thing was the green bean casserole.  I LOVE green bean casserole and almost never eat it except for Thanksgiving so I look forward to it every year.  The problem is that the French fried onions have flour and so does canned condensed mushroom soup.  So we made it homemade!  That was a first for all of us.  It was actually pretty easy (cutting up the onion is probably the worst part).  I'll have to get the recipe from mom and share it sometime.  When we were cooking the mushroom soup it was so cool watching the ingredients mix together and turn into the soup.  It looked just like the canned stuff but tasted so much better.

I hope everyone is having a great Thanksgiving!!  I'm thankful for having our house almost done, celebrating our first year living in it, for my family, for the joint effort on our gluten free Thanksgiving, the support and participation from my family with the gluten free lifestyle, my improved health (from eating gluten free) and for my sweet animals even though Jackal got in the garbage yesterday for the first time in years and years (he did it as a puppy too).  I was disappointed in him, but I'm thankful there was nothing in there that could make him sick (he was after the canned dog food that my parent's Yorkie eats).  I'm thankful that even though it's a little cold it isn't raining and the sun is shining!  I'm thankful that everyone is healthy (last year my family had the flu for Thanksgiving).  I'm thankful for my blogging friends and the amazing blogging community we belong to.  Love you guys!

Anyway that's all I can think of right now.  I'm sinking into a food coma.  Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving to ALL of you!
    Cammie and Mags!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmmm! That looked delicious!

    -Lilli-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving! Looks like you had a real feast. Love your kitchen.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for visiting! We would love to hear from you so please leave a comment.