Saturday, February 3, 2018

Happy Birthday Jackal!!!!!


Happy birthday Jackal!!!!!  Can you believe he is ten years old?  How has the time flown by so quickly?  So for those of you who are new to the blog when we moved here in 2013 my grandparents (they live next door on the same property) started feeding Jackal cat food without me knowing.  He gained so much weight!!  Here are some comparison pictures....

Pictures from 2013.....
 ...before we moved above.

 ....right after we moved above.
Looked so good and was so healthy.

Then a year later here is what he looked like.....

It makes me sick to see these pictures.....
I hate myself for not noticing it sooner...


 Below is a comparison pictures....

 At the beginning of his weight loss program.

Now.

The part that is really depressing is he didn't have a single health problem before and now he is hypothyroid, has a slipped disc in his neck and has large fatty tumors.  I know part of it is age, but being obese messed his body up so much.

The happy news is he's lost ten pounds!!!  He's back down to 55 pounds which is close to where he should be.  He could probably go lower, but he will never look as thin as he did before because of the sagging skin.

 I'm proud of you Jackal!


It hasn't been an easy journey, but he is so much happier and healthier now, even if he thinks he's always starving to death. 

There is a sad story I have to share (and for my record keeping).  A few days after his birthday he was out in the yard minding his own business when he saw the neighbor's dog on our property.....we have a four foot fence... he trotted over to greet the neighbor dog, but the dog jumped back over the fence and ran to his buddy.  Then he and his buddy jumped back over the fence onto my property and attacked Jackal.  Just thinking about it makes me want to cry all over again.  My husband was outside and running as fast as he could to get to them, yelling.  Finally the dogs ran off and jumped over the fence again.  Luckily they didn't break the skin, but Jackal was so sore.  When I got home from work I was just petting him and he cried and flinched away where his ribs were bruised because they rolled him.  Even though he was acting submissive they were both on top of him.

My dad (who is big and scary) went over and told the neighbor it better not ever happen again and the guy said he will chain the dogs up.  The crazy thing is the guy with the dogs doesn't even live there, he was just visiting our neighbor.  So that was awful, but Jackal is doing better now and I haven't seen those dogs since.  I'm only letting Jackal outside when he is supervised unless he's in the small yard with five foot fence right behind our house.

Jackal, being a dog, has forgotten all about the trauma and is happy as a clam now.  So happy birthday to my boy (even though it was on January 30th hehe)!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Jackal! He's looking much better since the weight loss and I'm sure he's happier. It's a shame he got attacked. He certainly didn't deserve that. Hope he feels better now.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for visiting! We would love to hear from you so please leave a comment.