Saturday, November 4, 2017

Wow, it's been a while.... Goat Herd Catch Up Part I

It has been so long since I posted.  I'm so sorry!  Everyone is doing well and a lot has been going on, I just haven't had time to edit pictures or post.  I'm going to catch you guys up with several posts.  Some of the photos are out of order, but I'm going to try to keep it mostly in chronological order.  There are a lot of Jasper pictures, because hubby takes lots of pictures of him with his cell phone in the evenings when he's feeding them.  It was interesting going through these pictures that date all the way back to July and seeing how much he has grown!  So enough rambling, check them out.

 All the way back in July, Jasper getting his favorite between the horn scratches.

 Jasper did lots of sleeping since he was (is) still a growing boy!

 He is such a laid back, awesome buck.  Here you can see hubby fly spraying him.

 Sticking his tongue out hehe.

 Goats do the flehmen too.

 He had a short stint in isolation.  Look at how much he grew!  At his heaviest he weighed between 225 and 230lbs!!!  He's as tall as I am when he stands on his hind legs and I'm 5'10"!

 Coral and her daughter Amethyst are so adorable!

 The goats loved being out in the big pasture.  Topaz was the babysitter.

This was actually a long while ago before they graduated to the big pasture.  I didn't even know hubby took this, but it cracked me up when I saw it so I had to share.  Garnet has the bucket stuck on her head hehe.

 When it was time for the boys to be weaned they were moved in with Jasper and the poor guys were also banded (castrated).

 Jasper wasn't sure about them at first, but after a bit they got along great.  It was ADORABLE watching him play head butting games so gently with them.

 Eventually it was time to wean Tanzanite and Andesine and they were moved in with their brothers.  Then Jasper donned his marking harness (it has a colorful crayon on it that marks the does' backs when he mounts them for breeding) and was put out in the big pasture to do his job, breeding Coral, Garnet and Topaz.

 "Stop looking at me and pet me!"

 "That's better."  He is such a love bug even when in rut.

 Coral is making huge strides in the trust department.  We still can't touch her without trapping her first, but she doesn't try to throw herself over us, through us or through windows anymore.  She's also really curious about anything we're doing like above where she's peeking over the dutch doors to the barn aisle.  We can walk within feet of her now and she doesn't run away.  She will also eat feed out of our hands.  She's made such huge progress from the terrified, feral goat we brought home.

 Andesine and Tanzanite stuffing their faces in their weaning pen.

 Once Jasper was done breeding the does he was moved again (more on that later) and the kids were turned out with their moms (their milk had dried up by then and the kids weren't trying to nurse anymore thank goodness.... weaning is so stressful).

That gets you up to current with Coral, Garnet, Topaz, Tanzanite, Andesine and the wethers.  I'll catch you up on the rest in another post..... those of you who pay attention may be wondering who "the rest" are besides Jasper and Amethyst.... hehe you'll have to wait to find out. ;)

P.S. Oops I missed a picture.

Coral is looking good!

6 comments:

  1. It seems that you have a very happy herd!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I do and they make me happy in return. Goats are an endless source of entertainment and affection.

      Delete
  2. I can't believe a goat can weigh that much and be that tall. Yeah, I'll email you in a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah he is the first one I've had that is that big. Some Boers get up to three hundred pounds! To me that's a little excessive though. Looking forward to chatting with you.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm so happy to have a goat herd again. I never stopped missing my other girls from years ago.

      Delete

Hey, thanks for visiting! We would love to hear from you so please leave a comment.