Saturday, March 25, 2017

Goodbye Yankee, Pearl and Jade.


We made the difficult decision to rehome some of our goats.  We've been contemplating it a while with Yankee because Rebel was bullying him and it was impossible to tame Yankee, when Rebel wouldn't let him close to us.  We banded Yankee in February and then today gave him to a friend who wanted a pet and who has more time to work with him than we do.  


 Pearl and Jade also went to a new home.  We originally got these goats from a commercial Boer herd as brush goats to help clean off our property, but after being introduced to the Myotonics and Crockett in particular we have fallen in love with the breed and we want to change direction toward breeding purebreds.  That being said we had too many commercial does and these two never really grew big enough that I would be comfortable breeding them to a big buck, so they have also gone to pet homes.  I know they will be well cared for and I know for a fact that Yankee is going to be much happier away from Rebel. 

Now for an update on everyone else.  Oh and sorry for using old pictures.  I've been way too busy today to get new ones.

Garnet and Topaz


Rebel and Jasper are happily coexisting in the buck herd out with the horses and donkey.  Hubby measured Rebel's horn spread the other day when he was putting tick repellent on him and his horns are 27 inches wide!!  I'm pretty sure that's taller than he is lol!!  We weighed Jasper again and he's up to a whopping 115 pounds.  He doesn't even turn a year old until sometime in April.


Coral and Amethyst are doing great.  Coral is wild as a march hare again.... she slammed my husband's hand into a post the other day when he was catching her to put tick repellent on her.... it's a good thing she produces awesome babies like Amethyst or I'd be tempted to sell her.  He will be okay though.  His hand is swollen, but nothing is broken.  I guess her "sweet" phase was due to pregnancy/birthing hormones lol.  Amethyst is as loving and brave as ever.  She is seven weeks old today and weighs 28.1 pounds!  She's such a big baby!  I absolutely adore her.  Oh and we did annual vaccines on all of the goats when Amethyst was four weeks old, so in another week she will get her booster.


Apatite is settling in well.  Coral no longer tries to kill him and he isn't crying for his mom.  He's eating great, gaining weight and taming down.  He will eat out of our hands and once he's caught he will quietly sit in our laps for a cuddle.  I don't think it will be a problem taming him down with Amethyst as a role model.  He has fainted several times, but I still haven't gotten it on video.  It's so sad and funny at the same time.  Strong myotonia is actually a desired trait in the breed though, so even though I feel sorry for him, since it doesn't hurt him, I don't get sad about it or anything.  He will eventually learn how to brace himself and not fall over when it happens.  I need to get new pictures of him tomorrow.  He is so adorable!

Tomorrow we are drawing blood on all of the goats to send off for annual testing of CAE, CL and Johne's.  Fingers crossed for negative results on everyone!

I'm having so much fun with these guys.  I had forgotten how much I enjoy goats.  I know they aren't for everyone, but I sure do love them!  I'm also enjoying the long daylight for sure!  We work outside until 8pm a lot of nights after work.  We put up electric fence all around the horse pasture because Rebel was getting out into the neighbor's yard.  I always forget how much work electric fence is, but it sure does work.  Chrome was so funny because he wouldn't go anywhere near it.  He remembers after only getting popped once a couple of years ago!  Hubby shocked himself too and said it is definitely strong.... I definitely will be avoiding it!

That's all for today's goat update.  I'll let you know how the blood drawing goes tomorrow and hopefully get some more pictures of Apatite.  Later!

3 comments:

  1. Glad the goats are doing so well, rehoming when it is best shows you are a great pet parent and willing to do what is best for the animals. Miss the regular updates but glad everyone is well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that you made a great decision to re-home them. And knowing you I'm sure that they went to good homes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must admit that I like the smaller goats more too. Those babies are sure cute!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for visiting! We would love to hear from you so please leave a comment.