Saturday, January 22, 2011

Jackal's Crawling Progress

Here is the video of our progress so far on crawling. I haven't worked on it nearly as much as I should have. Here is the video.



So any suggestions on where to proceed from there? I've never taught crawl before so it's all new to me. I used the luring him under my arm method because he was having trouble staying in a crawl. I think now he's starting to build the muscle to do it more comfortably, so I have to figure out how to fade out my arm . . . like I said, any suggestions? :)

Also I need suggestions for new tricks. I'm going to set up the poll in a couple of days so I need four suggestions. Please make them easy tricks since we're out of practice. :) Thanks for watching. I can't wait to hear what you think of our progress so far.

4 comments:

  1. Looks like it's coming along ok! I think I would just work on not putting any pressure down with your arm. Have it there, but either just barely touching. You'll need to go back to rewarding one tiny step. I don't think you can start fading it completely until he doesn't need to bump into your hand for information.

    As for tricks, I think you said it yourself! Backing up :) Of course there are all types of variations- backing up away from you, backing up in heel, backing up towards you. Start with whatever foundation you have the strongest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're doing way better than us on the crawl. i haven't worked it much cuz it's so hard to teach. but one thing i noticed: grass or outside is better for gripping...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking great so far!

    As for fading out the arm, I'm not completely sure. One suggestion, like Laura said, is have your arm up just a bit and reward him for 1 step of crawling, then 2 steps, etc. I think this could work really well.

    Also, another thing might be to have him under your arm, then lure him forward, keeping your arm still. If that makes sense? That is, using the arm to get the initial position, but then getting him to crawl forward.

    I'll be interested to hear what works, I'd like to teach Ginger to crawl!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's really impressive. Why? Because your approach is innovative and you are making it fun for Jackal. You can see he clearly enjoys it. I would think that pairing your arm with a verbal cue would eventually allow you to remove your arm from the equation.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for visiting! We would love to hear from you so please leave a comment.